Education is a multipurpose process. Which not only inculcates social, economic and cultural awareness in humanity, but is also an important medium for grasping and promoting life enhancing values among human beings. Quality Education should consist of training the intelligence, widening the mind and enlarging its interest and teaching the technique on which modern civilization is based. It awakens the potential among people so that they are able to recognize truth, beauty and goodness. Education propels mind and soul towards achieving equilibrium which enhances the personality and promotes mental and spiritual strength as well as clarity and resolution in one’s aims.
Brief History of the Institution
The Department of Education, Himachal Pradesh University, Shimla was established in the year 1971. Initially M.Ed. and M.Phil. Courses were started in the Department as Academic Courses. In 1976, M.A Education was introduced as a new course. However, it was discontinued in 1979 only after two batches. In view of the needs of the state, B.Ed. Course was started in the Department in 1985. Two more courses namely Post-Graduate Diploma in Guidance and Counselling and Post Graduate Diploma in Adult Education were also introduced. Presently, the Department is offering six courses viz. B.Ed., M.Ed., M.Phil., Ph.D., Post Graduate Diploma in Guidance and Counselling and Post Graduate Diploma in Adult Education.
Objectives of the Department
- To develop all-round personality of prospective teachers by providing quality Education.
- To create abundant opportunity for extra co-curricular activities.
- To inculcate research skills to find solutions for classroom problems.
- To inspire individual, social, emotional and intellectual competence.
- To encourage leadership qualities among prospective teachers.
- To inspire the student-Teachers to meet the challenges of dynamic society.
- To train the pupil-teachers in imparting and evaluating learning experiences.
- Development of new frontiers of knowledge in Education.
- Cultivation of scholastic and research competencies.