The library connects us with the insight and knowledge, painfully extracted from Nature, of the greatest minds that ever were, with the best teachers, drawn from the entire planet and from all our history, to instruct us without tiring, and to inspire us to make our own contribution to the collective knowledge of the human species. I think the health of our civilization, the depth of our awareness about the underpinnings of our culture and our concern for the future can all be tested by how well we support our libraries.
--- Cosmos Carl Sagan
The Library of H. P. University was established on 4th Feb. 1972. It is situated in the vicinity of Shimla hills at a famous place, Summer-Hill. It was shifted to the present multi-storeyed building having with the provision of lift. It is biggest library of the state.
Keeping in view the need of the readers and staff the different sections of the library has been established as follows:
Private Reading Room: - In the Library Provision of private reading room is made outside the main gate of the library in the basement for the facility of the readers.
1. Property Counter: - It is situated just opposite to the main gate of the library. The readers put their personal belongings in it before entering the library.
2. Main Gate: - On the main gate of the library the readers make their entry in the visitors register after showing their identity cards to the gate man.
3. Circulation Section: - It is on the ground floor of the library. In this section membership of clients is prepared and issued documents are taken back from them.
4. Photocopier Section: - It is situated in the back side of the circulation counter on the same floor. It provides Xeroxing service at a very nominal rates to the clients.
5. Acquisition section: - It is just adjoining to the Xeroxing section. In this section the acquisition work of the library is done.
6. Reading Rooms on the Ground Floor :- There are two reading rooms in the same floor one is extreme left from the main gate and the other is extreme right side from the main gate of the library which is a very big reading room. Daily news papers are displayed on the newspaper desks for the reader in the left side of the gate .
7. Periodical Section:- In this sections periodicals / journals are purchased and their record is maintained .
8. Periodical Stacks :- It is situated in the right side reading room and in this section the periodicals / journals is displayed for consultation to readers and research scholars .
1. Public Catalogues
2. Information Kiosk
3. Technical Section :- Technical treatment of documents is done in this section i.e. classification and cataloguing. The computer lab of the library is also in housed in this section. The various works pertaining to data entry etc. are being done in this section.
4. Stacks Section: - It is the major section of the library. It has the documents of different subjects, except science, laws and education (The documents on these subjects are placed in respective sections).
It has been pided into three sections:
1. A large Reading hall is situated on this floor.
2. Himalayan section :-It is having documents on library science, reference books , books on Himachal Pradesh, dissertation and theses of different subjects except science and laws are displayed in this section.
3. Science Section :- Collection of books on physics , Chemistry , Bio – Sciences and Mathematics with dissertation and theses along with charging and discharging of them is done in this section .
1. Education Section:-It has two reading rooms including books, dissertation and theses on education.
Two reading rooms are located on this floor including Bound old Newspapers and Binding Section of the Library.