There shall be a Court of not more than sixty five members and its constitution and the term of office of its members shall be, as prescribed by the Statutes.
Powers and functions of the Court
Subject to the provisions of this Act, the Court shall have the following powers and functions, namely:-
- To review from time to time the broad policies and programmes of the University not to suggest measures for the improvement and development of such policies and programmes;
- To consider and pass resolutions on the annual report and the annual accounts together with the audited report of the University; and
- To exercise all the powers of the University not otherwise provided for by this Act or the Statutes.
The Court shall consist of-
- Three Deans of Faculties, who are not otherwise members of Executive Council.
- Three Chairmen of Departments of studies in the University other than Deans.
- Two representatives of the teachers of the University other than Deans and Chairman of the Departments. One Professor, One Associate Professor by rotation on the basis of seniority.
- Ten Principals of all affiliated Colleges and colleges maintained by the University by rotation on the basis of seniority.
- Six representatives of the teachers of affiliated Colleges and Colleges maintained by the University. Three by election and three by rotation according to seniority as under:-
A. By Election In Accordance With The System Of Proportional Representation By Means Of Single Transferable Vote And Through Single Majority Vote.
- Two from among those teaching subjects assigned to the Arts Faculty provided that one shall be from among those with more than ten years service and one with less than ten years service.
- One from among those teaching subjects assigned to the Science Faculty through election by means of single majority vote.
B. By Rotation According To Seniority.
- One from among those teaching subjects assigned to the Faculties of Languages, Performing & Visual Arts, Social Sciences, Commerce and Education in order of Seniority by rotation respectively.
- One from among those teaching subjects assigned to Science Faculty in order of seniority by rotation.
- One from among those teaching subjects assigned to Faculty of Medical Sciences.
- For the purpose of giving effect to these provisions the term teachers will include all senior Assistant Professor s, Assistant Professor s or Junior Assistant Professor s, by whatever designation they may be called, irrespective of their pay scales, and a joint seniority list thereof will be maintained for the purpose.
- The term of each teacher representative whether by election or by rotation, will be two years, and a teacher with less than ten years service will complete his term, even if during the term his service exceeds ten years.
- The date on which the length of service will be computed for the purpose of the Statute will be the 22nd of July, of the year concerned.
- Whenever a person/the requisite number of persons belonging to either the category of more than ten years service or less than ten years service is/are not available the rest of all shall be taken from the other category.
- For the purpose of election as provided in (vii) (A) above, there will be a common electoral college consisting of all the teachers, teaching subjects assigned to the Faculties of Languages, Performing & Visual Arts, Social Sciences and Science, but there shall be reservation of seats of teachers, teaching subjects assigned to the Faculties of Languages, Performing & Visual Arts, Social Sciences and Science respectively, as provided therein.
The remaining members of the Executive Council, who are not otherwise members of the Court.
Two representatives of the Himachal Pradesh Legislative Assembly by election from amongst its own members to be elected in the manner as the Speaker of the said Assembly may direct;
Provided that they are not members of the Executive Council.
Four students members as under:-
- One full time student member elected from among themselves by the Research and M.Phil. students of the University.
One student from among those studying in Part-II Class of the master’s degree course in any Faculty in the Shimla Campus of the University obtaining the highest percentage of marks in the last University examination (1st and 2nd Semesters combined).
Provided that for this purpose the Faculties will be grouped as under:
Group I - Languages, Performing & Visual Arts, Social Sciences, Education, Commerce and Law
Group II- Science.
Provided further that the student representative from each Group will hold office alternatively, and the first to hold office will be from Group-I.
One student studying in the Final Year Class of the M.B.B.S degree course in the affiliated Medical Colleges, getting the highest percentage of marks in the M.B.B.S (Second Professional Examination) of the University.
One student studying in the B.Ed Class in College of Education affiliated to the University or University Division, getting the highest percentage of marks in the first degree examination; Provided that the representative of the M.B.B.S students and B.Ed students will be a member in alternate years, beginning with representative of the B.Ed students.
- Secretary of the Students’ Council referred to in Statute 15-A.
Not more than 5 persons to be nominated by the Chancellor;
Provided that in making nominations due regard shall be paid to different interests, professions and learnings, including ex-officio representatives to the different departments of the State Government concerned with the University;
Provided further that one member so nominated shall be a person connected with the management of the privately managed affiliated colleges and one shall be a teacher of an associated institution imparting instructions upto the Shastri and/or Acharya Degree;
Provided, however that no employee of the University or of an affiliated college or associated institution, except as provided in the second proviso above, shall be eligible to be a member under this category.
(xii) One representative of all the non-teaching staff of the University to be elected by them from amongst themselves.
(xiii) Registrar — Secretary.
- When an elected member of the Court becomes an ex-officio member before the expiry of his term, he shall cease to be an elected member.
- A member other than ex-officio member of the Court shall hold office for a period of three years except in the case of student members who shall hold office for one year or till the end of the academic year in which they become members whichever is earlier, and, in the case of teacher members as provided in the note to (vii) B 2 above; provided, however, that the term of office for the members under (iv) & (v) above shall be two years and for the members 8 (1) (xii) above shall be one year. If any member of the Legislative Assembly elected to the Court under Statute 8(1) (ix) of the First Statute ceases for any reason to be the members of that Legislative Assembly, he ceases to be a member of the Court.
- Twenty one members of the Court shall form the quorum.
Meetings of the Court:-
- The meeting of the Court shall be held on such date and at such time and place as may be fixed by the Chancellor. The Court shall meet at least once in a year to consider the report of the working of the University during the previous year.
- The copies of the annual report shall be supplied to the members at least 15 days before the meeting.