- The Executive Council shall be the Executive Body of the University and shall consist of the following members:-
- The Vice-Chancellor;
- The Pro-Vice-Chancellor;
- The Secretary (Finance) to the State Government or his representative;
- The Secretary (Education) to the State Government or his representative;
- The Director of Education, Himachal Pradesh;
- Registrar- Member Secretary
- Two Deans of Faculty to be nominated by rotation by the Vice-Chancellor;
- Two principals of affiliated colleges/colleges maintained by the University by rotation on the basis of seniority of whom one shall be principal of a Government College;
- One member to be elected by the court from amongst its members who is not a teacher or an employee or a student in the University;
- One member to be elected by the Academic Council from amongst its member other than students and employees of the University;
- One professor of the University by rotation on the basis of seniority to be nominated by the Vice-Chancellor;
- One person to be nominated by the State Government;
- One representative of students and one representative of non-teaching employees to be appointed for a period of one year at a time in the manner prescribed by the Statutes;
- Two persons to be nominated by the Chancellor out of the persons having special knowledge, or practical experience in respect of such matters as art, literature, law, science and administration or social service;
- One representative of the Assistant Professors of colleges affiliated to the University to be chosen by direct elections;
- One representative of the Assistant Professors of the University, Assistant Professors of the Directorate of Correspondence Courses and the Assistant Professors of the University Evening College to be chosen by direct election; and
- One representative of the Associate Professors of the University by rotation on the basis of integrated seniority of Associate Professors of all wings of the University viz. Post-Graduate Centre, Directorate of Correspondence Courses and University Evening College including its Principal,
Save as otherwise provided and except the ex-officio members, all other members, shall hold office for a period of two years from the date of their election or nomination, as the case may be;
Provided, however, that no person nominated or elected in his capacity as a member of a particular body or as a holder of a particular appointment shall be a member after he ceases to be a member of that body or holder of that appointment, as the case may be;
Provided further that any member, other than ex-officio members shall cease to be a member of the Executive Council if he absents himself from more than three consecutive meetings of the Executive Council without leave of absence from the Council.
- No person shall be or continue to be a member of the Executive Council in more than one capacity, and whenever a person becomes a member of the Executive Council in more than one capacity, he shall, within two weeks thereof, choose the capacity in which he desired to be a member of the Executive Council and shall vacate the other seat. Where he does not so choose, the seat held by him earlier in point of time shall be deemed to have been vacated with effect from the date of expiry of the aforesaid period of two weeks.
- Seven members of the Executive Council shall form the quorum.
- The Executive Council shall be in charge of the general management and administration (including the revenue and property) of the University, but the service matters of employees and financial matters, may be considered by it after recommendations of the Finance Committee.
- The powers and functions of the Executive Council shall be such as may be prescribed by the Statutes.
Powers of the Executive Council
Subject to the provisions of the Act, these Statutes and the Ordinances, the Executive Council, shall in addition to any other powers vested in it, have the following powers:
- To create the Posts of Professors, Associate Professors, Assistant Professors and other members of the teaching and research staff as may be necessary and to appoint them on the recommendations of the Selection Committees constituted for the purpose and to provide for the filling of temporary vacancies therein.
- To fix the emoluments and define the duties and conditions of service of Professors, Associate Professors, Assistant Professors and other members of the teaching and research staff;
- Provided that no action shall be taken by the Executive Council in respect of the number, the qualifications and the emoluments of teachers otherwise than after consideration of the recommendations of the Academic Council;
- To create administrative, ministerial and other necessary posts and to make appointments thereto in such manner, as may be laid down in the Ordinances;
- To regulate and enforce discipline among the members of the teaching administrative, ministerial and other staff of the University, in accordance with these Statutes and the Ordinances;
- To manage and regulate the finances, accounts, investments, property, business and all other administrative affairs of the University and for that purpose appoint such agents as it may think fit;
- To invest any money belonging to the University, including any unapplied income, in such stocks, funds, shares, or securities, as it may, from time to time, think fit, or in the purchase of immovable property in India, with the like powers of varying such investments, from time to time;
(a) to accept on behalf of the University any trust, bequest, donation or transfer of any movable or immovable property to the University; and
(b) to transfer any movable or immovable property on behalf of the University; Provided that no immovable property of the University shall, except with the prior sanction of the State Government, be transferred by the Executive Council by way of mortgage, sale, exchange, gift or otherwise, not shall any money borrowed or advance taken on the security thereof;
- To provide buildings, premises, furniture, apparatus and other facilities needed for carrying on the work of the University;
- To enter into, vary, carry out and cancel contracts on behalf of the University;
To entertain, adjudicate upon and if it thinks fit, to redress, any grievances of the salaried officers, the teaching staff and other employees of the University who may for any reason feel aggrieved;
Provided that, in matters of discipline and punishment, where the final power has been vested in the Vice-Chancellor or any other officer of the University, no appeal shall lie to the Executive Council.
- To fix the fees, emoluments and travelling and other allowances of the examiners and moderators appointed by the Academic Council;
- To select a common seal for the University and provide for the custody and use thereof;
- To institute fellowships, scholarships, exhibitions, studentships, medals and prizes;
- To delegate any of its powers to the Vice-Chancellor, Registrar, or such other officer of the University or to a person appointed by it as it may deem fit.