Faculty of Faculties
(i) The University shall have such faculties as may be prescribed by these Statutes. All the Departments/Institute(s)/School(s)/Centre(s) of Studies in the University shall have a Departmental Council which shall consist of all the members of the teaching staff of the department concerned.
The Chairman in Departmental Council shall perform such duties and functions as may be prescribed under the Ordinances.
(ii) The University shall have the following faculties;-
1. Faculty of Arts and Languages.
2. Performing & Visual Arts.
3. Social Sciences
4. Medical Sciences
5. Physical Sciences
8. Commerce and Management Studies
9. Engineering & Technology
11. Life Sciences
12. Dental Sciences
(iii) The following shall be Departments/Institutes/schools/Centres of Study of each Faculty in term of sub-section (1) of section 23 of the H.P. University Act, 1970 in the University :-
1. Faculty of Languages
(1) Department of English
(2) Department of Hindi
(3) Department of Modern European and Foreign languages,
(4) Department of Sanskrit
(5) Centre for Buddhist Studies.
2. Faculty of Performing & Visual Arts
1. Department of Performing Arts consisting of three disciplines namely, Music, Dance & Dramatics
2. Department of Visual Arts consisting of three disciplines namely Painting, Commercial Art & Sculpture.
3. Faculty of Social Sciences.
(1) Department of Economics.
(2) Department of History.
(3) Department of Political Science.
(4) Department of Psychology.
(5) Department of Journalism and Mass Communications.
(6) Department of Yoga Studies.
(7) Department of Public Administration.
(8) Department of Sociology.
(9) Department of Life Long Learning.
4. Faculty of Physical Sciences
(1) Department of Chemistry.
(2) Department of Mathematics.
(3) Department of Physics.
(4) Department of Computer Science.
(5) Department of Electronics
(6) Department of Geography.
5. Faculty of Education
(1) Department of Education.
(2) Department of Physical Education.
6. Faculty of Law
(1) Department of Law
7. Faculty of Commerce & Management Studies
(1) Department of Commerce.
(2) International Institute of Management Studies
(3) Institute of Vocational Studies.
8. Faculty of Life Sciences
(1) Department of Bio-Sciences.
(2) Department of Bio-Technology.
(3) Department of Microbiology.
Provided that the Executive Council shall have the power to transfer a department from one Faculty to another Faculty.
(iv) Each Faculty shall consist of such subjects as may be assigned to it by Ordinance 1.1 of the First Ordinances of H.P. University.
(v) Each department shall consist of the following members:-
(i) teachers of the department concerned;
(ii) person appointed to conduct research in the department;
(iii) Dean of the Faculty concerned;
(iv) such other persons as may be members of the department in accordance with the provisions of the Ordinances;
(v) Each department/ Institutes/ schools/ centres shall have a Chairman/Director to be appointed by the Vice-Chancellor on the basis of seniority by rotation for a period of two
years from amongst Professors and Associate Professor sof the University;
The Chairmanship/Directorship will rotate between Associate Professor and Senior most Assistant Professor with three years experience as Assistant Professor if there
is no Professor and only one Associate Professor is in the Department.
Provided further that in special circumstances as may be considered necessary, the Vice-Chancellor may appoint any Professor / Dean of Faculty concerned /Dean of Studies to
act as the Chairman/Director of Department concerned.
(2) Except in the case of the Faculty of Medical Sciences,Faculty of Dental Sciences and Faculty of Engineering and Technology each Faculty shall consist of the following
members, namely :-
(a) Dean of the Faculty;
(b) Chairman / Director of Departments of Studies in the Faculty;
(c) All Professors in the Faculty;
(d) One Associate Professor and one Assistant Professor from each Department of Study by rotation on the basis of seniority;
(e) Four teachers of the Colleges belonging to four different subjects of the concerned faculty by rotation on the basis of seniority;
Provided that two shall be teachers with more than ten years service, and two with less than ten years service. If,however, one or more eligible teachers are not available
from one of these categories the remaining or all the representatives shall be taken from the other category;
Provided further that the Director, Central Research Institute, Kasauli shall be ex-officio member of the Faculty of Life Sciences.
(3) (a) The composition of the Faculty of the Medical Sciences,shall be as under:-
(i) Dean of the Faculty;
(ii) All Professors;
(iii) Two Associate Professors in the Medical College by rotation,on the basis of seniority for a period of two years at a time;
(iv) Two Assistant Professors in the Medical College by rotation on the basis of seniority for a period of two years at a time;
(v) Director Post-Graduate Institute of Medical Sciences and Research, Chandigarh;
(vi) Chairman of the Bio-Sciences Department of the University.
(b) The composition of the Faculty of Engineering and
Technology shall be as under:-
(i) Dean of the Faculty;
(ii) All Heads of departments of studies in the Faculty;
(iii) All Professors in the Faculty;
(iv) One Assistant Professor and one Assistant Professor by rotation according to seniority from each department of Faculty;
(v) Six persons one in each discipline not connected with the University or college to be nominated by the Vice-Chancellor,for their special Knowledge of any subject assigned to the
faculty or any allied branch of knowledge.
(4.) The composition of the Faculty of Ayurveda will be as under:-
(i) Dean of the Faculty.
(ii) Principals of affiliated Ayurvedic Colleges.
(iii) Heads of all Teaching Departments of the affiliated Ayurvedic Colleges.
(iv) All Professors other than Heads.
(v) Two Associate Professors other than Heads in order of seniority by rotation.
(vi) Two Assistant Professors by rotation on the basis of the seniority.
(vii)Two Assistant Professor s by rotation on the basis of the seniority.
(viii)Three experts to be nominated by the Vice-Chancellor.(4-A.) The composition of the Faculty of Dental Sciences shall be as under:-
1. Dean of Faculty.
2. All Professors.
3. Two Associate Professors and two Assistant Professors in the Dental Colleges by rotation on the basis of seniority .
4. Dean, Faculty of Medical Sciences.
5. Dean, Faculty of Ayurveda.
6. Three experts to be nominated by the Vice-Chancellor.
(5.) All Members of Faculty other than ex-officio members shall hold office for a term of two years.Provided, however that when a teacher appointed on the Faculty goes on leave for a period of more than two months,the Vice-Chancellor may appoint the next eligible teacher concerned during the absence of leave period of the regular teacher member as the case may be;
Provided further that any member other than ex-officio member, shall cease to be a member of the faculty if he /she absents himself/herself from more than two consecutive meetings of the Faculty without leave of absence from the Dean concerned.
(6.) Faculties shall have such powers and shall perform such duties as may be assigned to them by these Statutes and Ordinances. They shall also consider and make such recommendations to the Academic Council on any question pertaining to their respective spheres of work, as may appear to them necessary or on any matter referred to them by the Academic Council.